Monday, February 14, 2011

A Valentine's Day Mini-Manifesto (i.e. "Mini-Festo")

Nine and a half years ago I married the man I fell in love with. We went to a church, got dressed up, invited all our friends & family, and committed to a lifetime of intentional love. No one challenged us. Everyone was excited for us and celebrated with us. Love was abundant and our marriage was celebrated.

Legend has it that back in the early 200's CE Emperor Claudius II made a ruling to cancel all engagements and ban any weddings from taking place. His reason? He thought men didn't want to join in his misguided, violent military campaigns because they didn't want to leave families behind. Reportedly the priest Valentinus (or Valentine) rebelled by intentionally performing illegal marriages against the Emperor's ruling. Valentinus believed in love and believed in celebrating the decision to marry those who committed to loving each other.

I'm dedicating my Valentine's Day to everyone who speaks & acts out in love, especially when it's an act of defiance. I believe in the transformative power of love. I believe if Saint Valentine were alive today he'd be performing wedding ceremonies for same-sex and/or gender-nonconforming couples as fast as possible.

I also believe that Saint Valentine would be in good company when he insisted on celebrating love. Can anyone think of another popular historical figure who preached Love?

I'm proud to be a Christian. I'm proud to be an outspoken advocate of love. I'm proud to defy the world when it tries to prevent love from flourishing. God is Love. Love wins. Happy Valentines day, fellow rebels.

No comments: