Thursday, June 21, 2007

Sometimes I'm Proud of Myself

And maybe it's not socially acceptable to herald oneself (unless you're in a job interview), but sometimes it is better for my soul if I just grin and say, "You know what? I did a good job."

Sometimes I'm amazed at what things become big challenges for me and what things actually come off quite smoothly & painlessly. I was recently given a brochure to re-create for an organization affiliated with our church. I was also sick a lot. I got an email from one of the people who was anxious to get it, so I tucked in and tackled it. And it's beautiful. I couldn't find comparable graphics, so I scanned them into my photo editor, cropped them & cleaned them up, and re-inserted the same images.

The details of this particular little task are somewhat dull, I realize, but I notice that I have this pattern of doing things that might not be easy. The pastor asked if I could recreate his signature for something, so I found it jotted on a note he'd written me, scanned & cropped it, and now I can use it at the end of his monthly note in the newsletter as well as any other letters. Again, a little thing, but a nice effect.

In this age of technology there's almost nothing that can't be done, I realize, but I have significant limitations. However, I am innovative and thorough. I find creative & effective ways to get done the things I need or want to do, and I do them well. I think that's kind of a big deal, and I'm glad I have that nature and ability.

I guess one way to make this more palatable, to a portion of the population, is to say that I am thankful for these gifts God has blessed me with.

And while it's not untrue, I do thank God, I think it's a little more organic of a process. For example, I think my dad is particularly innovative & thorough. Often when I'm faced with a tricky thing that needs a solution, I think through it with him as part of the voice in my head. And God put me in my family so I'd have my dad, so I'd learn this way.

I guess this is a little pat on the back to my dad too. Kind of a virtual and belated Father's Day note. :)

No comments: