Monday, August 13, 2007

Being Nice

I've been newly inspired to blog after a lively online "chat" with a long-distance friend. I often feel like what I might write about will either be too inconsequential to be worth writing or too heated to be palatable to my friendly readers, so I paralyze myself into not writing.

But mostly I think I'm a pretty hopeful, happy person...so it shouldn't be too hard to write something nice even if it's also tough, right? We'll see!

For now I have just one thing to say: I have found, caught and released outside no less than THREE very quick, slightly too-large to like spiders today. Ew. But just know that if you're ever near me, I have a designated "bug catcher cup" for exactly this purpose.

I don't like spiders much, but ever since reading "Be Nice to Spiders" as a child I realized that I'd rather have a spider or two around than all the other critters that they eat...so I try to be nice. If they are too close for comfort, I catch & release them. If they are on my ceiling, I let them be. If they are cockroaches, I'm not nearly so compassionate, I fear. Maybe that's a children's book in progress..."Be Nice to Cockroaches." I doubt it.

But I've been proven wrong many times before!

No comments: